Anthrax Confirmed in Texas

death

Texas officials have confirmed a case of anthrax in an infected white-tailed deer that was discovered in southeastern Edwards County.

Officials say that this is the second confirmed case of anthrax this summer. The first case was confirmed in a goat back in June.

According to the TPWD report, anthrax is an infectious disease of mammals, including humans, and one that is caused by the bacterium Bacillus anthracis. It naturally resides in the soil in many portions of Texas, although it most typically is found in the counties mentioned above.

During the heat of summertime, when weather conditions can change rapidly between periods of monsoonal rains to searing heat and drought, the spores of the bacterium can be found at the surface level of the soil and/or on low-to-the-ground plants that animals, wild or domesticated, may ingest.

Once infected, the disease is reported to be typically fatal in deer and livestock and can be fatal to humans unless they are treated early on with antibiotics.

Dr. T.R. Lansford, TAHC assistant executive director for Animal Health Programs said, “The TAHC will continue to closely monitor the situation for possible new cases across the state.”

“Producers are encouraged to consult their veterinary practitioner or local TAHC office if they have questions about the disease,” he added.

Officials say that this is a natural occurring incident. What are your thoughts?

Comment below.

  Share: