COLUMBUS, GA –“I went back into the house like a dummy.” That’s what one man in Georgia said after he risked his life to save beer from his fridge while his house was on fire.
Walter Serpit was watching TV with five adults and two children when the living room began to fill with smoke. He helped the family make a safe escape from the house, which caught fire due to a faulty water heater. But as soon as Serpit made it out safely, he turned right back around to rescue a bunch of his beers that were trapped inside the burning building.
“I told them to get the kids out and everything, and me myself, being an alcoholic, I was trying to get my beer out,” Serpit said. “I went back into the house like a dummy and the door shut on me because this back draft was about to kill me.”
Serpit, who walks with a cane, managed to save several cans of beer without getting injured. Investigators believe a newly installed water heater may have sparked the fire.